Women who Inspire
by Celine Semaan Vernon
SLOW FACTORY FW2016
A collection celebrating women
Slow Factory’s Fall 2016 Collection is inspired by all the women behind great scientific progress. Growing up, girls are not exposed enough to female role models in fact, in 2016 a survey asked children to draw draw a firefighter, a surgeon, and a fighter pilot to which the students drew 66 pictures in total -- but only five of them depict women. Inspired by the movie Hidden Figures about the life of Katherine Johnson, Slow Factory created 8 scarves, each celebrating a woman who inspires in her own right:
Here are the 8 women we printed for Fall 2016
- Katherine Johnson, American physicist, space scientist, and mathematician.
- Amelia Earhart, American aviation pioneer and author.
- Kathryn D. Sullivan, American geologist and a former NASA astronaut. A crew member on three Space Shuttle missions, she is the first American woman to walk in space.
- Mae Jemison, American physician and NASA astronaut. She became the first African-American woman to travel in space.
- Margaret Hamilton, Director of the Software Engineering Division of the MIT Instrumentation Laboratory, which developed on-board flight software for the Apollo space program.
- Nancy Roman, American astronomer who was one of the first female executives at NASA.
- Christa McAuliffe, American astronaut, one of the seven crew members killed in the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster.
- Jan Davis & Mae Jemison, Astronauts Dr. N. Jan Davis (left) and Dr. Mae C. Jemison (right) were mission specialists on board the STS-47 mission.
The collection will be modelled and broadcasted on our Instagram stories, on Friday September 23rd at 10AM EST by the amazing women and friends who inspire millions:
- Miki Agrawal, Co-Founder of Thinx Underwear, Patriarchal Proof Underwear
- Piera Gilardi, Co-Founder and Creative Director of Refinery 29
- Alaa Murabit, UN commissioner Women's Health & Sustainability
- Anastasia Genicoff: Black Lives Matter Advocate and Model
- Celine Semaan Vernon, Creative Director & Founder Slow Factory and Activist